Are you a strategic leader with design expertise? Do you have the ability to collaborate with clients, influencers, designers, and sales leaders to win business and bring about inventive and successful solutions? If so, then please consider applying. We are currently seeking a Design Director to lead our enterprise-wide Interior Design team.
We are one of the largest commercial furnishing providers in the country, creating spaces that are engaging, inspiring, and perfectly tailored to our clients’ needs and goals. Our clients range from small business owners to Fortune 500 corporations, healthcare, education, sports arenas and hospitality environments. A comprehensive menu of services includes asset and order management, facility, installation and space planning, design, and project management services.
At Atmosphere we believe in providing the best possible service to our clients and constantly striving to provide the best possible work environment for our team members.
As Atmosphere Design Director, you will create the vision for the future of Design and lead our enterprise-wide Interior Design Team (AZ, MN, WI & IL). You will provide inspiration and creative vision to both local and remote designers, oversee creative efforts to ensure strategies are in line with the strategic objectives of the client and company.
As the Design Director you will collaborate with Leaders on strategies that will optimize performance, enhance our visibility in the market and drive continued growth. Use your unique design perspective in taking client engagements to new levels to help close new business opportunities. Recruit, engage, and develop talent, and apply leadership principals and strategies that inspire creative, innovative, best-in-class teams that are engaged, motivated, and inspired to contribute to the positive success and growth of Atmosphere.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Set creative vision and provide strategic leadership for the Design Team
- Set the design and practice vision for the local offices, in alignment with enterprise-wide design goals. Develop alignment and deployment of future Design Team model
- Establish “big ideas,” creative design direction, engagement methodology and inspire creative design solutions
- Work with Sales & Marketing leaders to actively participate in new business opportunities & design presentations
- Participate as a thought leader in professional organizations, activities, and services that further Atmosphere’s vision, value and relationships
- Develop clear, annualized Design Team business objectives that directly support and align with our strategic annual business plan
- Actively participate as a member of the Leadership Team, work with Regional Leaders to ensure local market goals are being met
- Embody an entrepreneurial approach to interior design, while maintaining high standards of design excellence & innovation
- Develop budgets and fee proposals
- Lead WorkLab projects and initiatives that position Atmosphere story to deliver each region’s best WorkLab experience
- Within the Steelcase Dealer Design community on a local, and national basis. Be an active Member of the Steelcase Design COP, report learnings to Leadership in all Regions sharing findings from various conferences including COP conference & CET conference. Utilize these learnings to formulate strategic actions that benefit the business.
- Continuously absorb trends, insights, knowledge, skills, and new technologies that position Atmosphere as the Design Communities’ “go to” partner. Advance these Interior Design concepts and trends to other teams to ensure we are competitive in the markets we serve.
- Proactively engage with the vendors ensuring Atmosphere is continuously designing applications/solutions that are in demand
- Work collaboratively with Sales Leaders to develop strategies for how design can complement and enhance the sales process to drive business results
- Partner with Leadership Teams to ensure flawless execution of design services
- Direct the activities of designers to maintain standards of creative design excellence, timeliness, and profitability, while achieving the clients’ goals from conception through completion. Distribute workload amongst the Design Team Leads taking into account individual talents, skills, workload capacity, timelines and client expectations.
- Coach Team Members by creating a learning and growing environment
- Lead Designers to success in client presentations with their ability to apply insight led applications
- Engage Team members to develop a personal commitment to the organization’s common vision and goals
- Assign clear roles, responsibilities, and expectations to each Team, manage Team Members’ performance against their individual goals and objectives, and identify individual coaching opportunities. Make sure behavior is in line with our values
- Utilize design metrics to coach for success and productivity, profitably manage the Team
- Travel to each ACI Region to provide Manager coaching on various initiatives including providing ways to assist training and onboarding for new Design team members.
- Other duties as assigned
Core Strengths / Attributes
- Excellent Analytical and Strategic Problem Solving Skills: Highly developed understanding of company’s strategic direction and ability to interpret and communicate senior management direction. Clearly defines, gathers, analyzes and focuses on the most relevant information. Synthesizes complex information.
- Communicates/Collaborates Effectively: Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Ability to tailor message across a variety of audiences. Strong interpersonal skills; develops and maintains positive relationships internally and externally. Strong team player.
- Continuous Learner: Self-directed, learns and advances from experiences and feedback, stays informed of industry trends, products and applications.
- Resilient and Adaptable: Open to new experiences to develop skills and ability to work in a fast paced, continuously evolving role.
- Leadership Skills: Ability to provide direction, develop and implement processes, motivate others, and build consensus with large groups including cross-pyramid teams. Influences without authority, giving direction and delegating tasks. Nurtures fresh approaches and appropriate risk taking.
- Execution Management: Works quickly to get things done; uses resources effectively; detail oriented and high level of accuracy. Owns execution of tasks and demonstrates excellent follow through. Drives for Results and fosters a sense of urgency.
Minimum Job Requirements
- 4-year Design degree
- 10+ years experience in team leadership position
- 10+ years design experience with 5+ years commercial Design experience
- Industry/Commercial Dealer Experience
- Proficient use of AutoCAD, Configura, Microsoft Office Suite, Bluebeam
- Ability to effectively lead a cross function team remotely
- Must be capable of making client presentations
- Availability to travel when necessary
- CET knowledge and experience
- NCIDQ and or CID certification
Employees are responsible, as a condition of hire and continued employment, for following all prescribed safety rules and procedures to prevent workplace injuries. All employees are expected to cooperate in every aspect of the company’s safety program and follow safe work practices.
While this job description accurately represents the current primary duties of the role, functions may be adapted as necessary to meet business need.
Atmosphere Commercial Interiors provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Atmosphere Commercial Interiors complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Send us your resumé